After one long, hot summer, the weather (in most places) has just started to turn slightly crisp, and before you can say, “Pumpkin Spice Latte” it will officially be fall. With all of the season’s beautiful colors, cozy weather and anticipated events, there is so much to look forward to come September 22 (your official fall kick-off!). To make sure you don’t forget any of autumn’s must-do’s, we put together a fall bucket list for all of your September to December happenings.
- Go Apple Picking: Clearly, the most important thing you’ll accomplish this fall is bringing home a basketful of freshly picked Fujis, Galas and Granny Smith beauties. Find a nearby orchard here and make sure to pick up a cup of hot apple cider and a warm apple cider donut for the road.
- Head to a Pumpkin Patch: You’ll want to select a few different sized gourds at a nearby pumpkin patch – one to use for cooking, a few small ones for decorating and some big boys for jack-o-lantern-ing. Here’s a great list of of ways to use pumpkin this fall. And don’t miss out on this opportunity to take the kids (and your camera) – because there are few things cuter than children in a pumpkin patch!
- Travel Through a Corn Maze: Even if you get lost, roaming through a corn maze is one quintessential, fun, fall activity to take part in. Click here to find a maze near you.
- Bake Fall Goodies: Now that you’ve apple-picked and pumpkin-patched, bake up some delicious fall-themed yummies using your fresh produce. Check out these delicious fall baking recipes, and be sure to save the leftovers for us!
- Create Seasonal Cocktails: There are so many wonderfully warm and spicy flavors synonymous with fall. Mix them up and craft some fall-themed cocktails. Try this apple cider whisky smash or this pumpkin pie in a glass.
- Go on a Hayride: Slightly crispy weather is the perfect time to hop into the back of a pickup and cuddle up with a flannel blanket as you jostle along on an evening hayride.
- Decorate for Halloween: Get out your spookiest decor and deck your halls for Halloween. There’s nothing like some sparkly skulls and a few floating ghosts to get you in the mood for the upcoming holiday.
- Take a Graveyard Tour: Some cemeteries offer after-dark tours of their grounds to 1) give you a history lesson and 2) give you’re a ghoulish fright! If you’ve outgrown the trick-or-treating, this could be your new Halloween tradition.
- Open Your Windows: Enjoy some free AC before it gets too cold outside. Let that cool autumn air fill your home as you cozy up on the couch with a cocktail (see #5).
- Take Photos of Foliage: The bright reds, yellows and oranges that fill the trees make for some seriously beautiful backdrops. Head outside and snap a few pics to pretty up your Instagram feed. #fallismyfavoriteseason.
For more ideas and ways to spend the fall season in green, eco-friendly style, stay connected to the Just Energy blog and make sure to like Just Energy on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!