Whether you’re in a new relationship, part of a years-old partnership or spectacularly single, everyone has their own feelings about Valentine’s Day. Some people can’t wait to share their love, while others see the day as a poor excuse to buy, buy, buy! Whatever your stance on the holiday, we should all agree to show the environment some love on February 14. Here are our favorite eco-friendly ways to say “I Love You” this Valentine’s Day.
- Opt for an Orchid: Sure, a dozen red roses may scream “HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY!” but by February 21, those sad, wilted flowers are going to be hanging out in the garbage can. Instead of cut flowers, give your sweetheart a unique orchid plant that they can nurture and enjoy forever. And as an eco-friendly bonus, live plants also help remove carbon dioxide and other toxins from the air.
- Bake for your Mate: We all love to eat! And receiving sweet V-day treats or a thoughtfully prepared meal will make anyone’s heart beat faster. Skip the expensive dinner at the fancy restaurant across town and create your own romantic menu with local, organic, in-season ingredients. Here are a few healthy recipe ideas to get your creative juices flowing.
- “Adopt” an Animal: Leave the teddy bear or stuffed puppy at the toy store and virtually “adopt” an animal for your darling. The World Wildlife Fund allows you to pick from dozens of species (maybe a cute Emperor Penguin Chick or an adorable lion cub?), and with a donation, you can symbolically adopt that animal, supporting WWF’s global efforts to protect wild animals and their habitats.
- Craft your own Card: The sentiment behind a store-bought card is sweet, but not as sweet as one you make yourself! Here are a few creative alternatives to the basic Valentine’s card that will surely impress your love interest.
- If you’ve already committed to the fancy weekend escape or special evening out, be sure to balance out the pollution created from your activities and/or travel. Purchase carbon offsets! Our planet will love you (and so will your sweetheart)!
Whether you’re celebrating this Valentine’s Day with someone special or not, stay tuned to the Just Energy blog, where you can always find ways to LOVE the environment! Show us the love by staying connected and informed via the Just Energy website and like us on Just Energy Facebook and follow us on Twitter, where we’re always sharing tips and information on living an eco-friendly, green lifestyle.